Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I'm Gumby Dammit!

~
I was on the Netflix website the other day browsing movies. I was going through rating movies so Netflix would know my preferences. Based on my preferences, the program decided that I should watch "Daddy Day Care." I was dumbfounded as to why  they would recommend that crap, but then I realized it was because I gave five stars to "Adventures In Babysitting", and "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead". I didn't waste my time watching it, but it did remind me how far Eddie Muprhy has fallen. This was the guy who, at just 22 years-old, produced the one of the all-time great stand-up performance in "Delirious". He was a mainstay on SNL during some its best years, and starred in some great movies including "48 Hours", "Trading Places", and my personal favorite, "Coming To America". To go from that to "Pluto Nash", and "Norbit" is just disappointing. His singing career was absolutely ridiculous, but you have to give him a pass because "Party All The Time" had one thing all those other shitty-songs-released-by-self-indulgent-mediocre-actors* didn't have...Rick James.

No matter how much garbage he continues to put out,  I will always remember him as the comedic genius that  he was in the 80's. Short and sweet, I will leave you with the good, the bad, and the ugly of Eddie Murphy's career.






* I am referring to Patrick Swayze (RIP), Bruce Willis, and Don Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment